Wednesday, February 27, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks

 
Read: Feb 12, 2013

Sometimes you just want to read a little romance.  And who better to turn to than good ol’ Nicky Sparks.
I just started reading this without reading the back-which I tend to do a lot (I do read based on the cover most of the time). Thus, I was surprised when Noah and Allie Calhoun were mentioned. Little did I know that this was a ‘sequel’ (in the vaguest sense) to The Notebook.  This book is about a man, Wilson who after 30 years of marriage is finally realizing he has to do something to keep his wife happy and invested in the relationship.  He knows the romance has died, especially after forgetting their 29th anniversary- granted, Jane (the wife and daughter of Noah/Allie) had quite the example of romantic parents to live up too.  He consults Noah and deicdes to plan the perfect 30th anniversay present.
The WeddingThe premise of this book is based around Wilson’s and Jane’s daughters future wedding.  And this wedding is happening fast because of Noah’s failing condition. [Side note: I love how Noah still lived at the same nursing home, and went to visit the swans every day. Still loved Allie with all of his heart- although his kids thought he was crazy for coupling swans and their mother to be the same ‘being’. But hey, if it gets you through missing someone why not?] Throughout the book I wanted to scream at Jane that it’s NOT your wedding! It’s your daughters! Let her make her own decisions! Because the wedding had to be plan, in what a week or 2, Wilson stepped up to the plate. He found the caterer, the music, the flowers, the location (the good ol’ Calhoun’s plantation!). Throughout this he also started cooking dinner.  As he was trying to win back his wife’s love, and knew she was stressed with the wedding. And gent’s. Cook for your lady. Clean for your lady. It’s amazing what coming home to something you usually have to do every day is already done can feel.
I find it strange, but an also very realistic response to all of the cooking and attentiveness that Wilson had out of the blue started doing  was that Jane asked him flat out if he was cheating. Isn't it sad that that is the first place our mind goes when someone breakjs the norm? It's like "what did you do?" "why are you being so nice all of a sudden?"
 One of my favorite parts of the book is Wilson’s 30th anniversary present.  I’m not speaking for every girl, but all we want is a little romance.  And being  led  on a date that you don’t have to plan a thing from what to wear, to where to go, what to cook, etc would be amazing. I would love it if I came home to flowers, and a note instructing me what to do next, where to go, a new dress especially bought for me. (G take note!) And the gift he gives her is amazing.  Again, not to speak for all girls out there, but its not necessarily the price on the tag of the gift, it is definitely more of the thought and effort that goes into it that counts.  I especially liked the twist at the end.  I had an inkling that it would happen, but I also thought it would happen after the daughter’s wedding.

I liked this book because I can see it being very realistic for most couples.  You fall in love, have kids, focus all your energy on the kids and your career, then the kids move out. What then? You have to figure out how to talk and entertain each other without it being kid based.  Definitely not the best Nicholas Spark book,  but it was an easy read. ANd now I will probably re-read THe Notebook.
“But love, I’ve come to understand, is more than three words mumbled before bedtime. Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other every day.” 
 
“I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are there, in everything I am, in everything I've ever done, and looking back, I know that I should have told you know much you've always meant to me. ” 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment