Monday, March 25, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald





Another classic re-read. And not what I remembered at all. In my head I thought I remembered this being more about prohibition. Obviously I did not pay attention in high school English…
It’s not that I didn’t like the book I just thought it would grab my attention more based on everyone else’s love for it.  I read it quickly (which at being 180 pages is easy to do) but throughout the whole book, I was waiting for something to make me see why everyone else gives a shit.

It was set in the 20s, just after World War I in the United States, called East Egg and West Egg (in my head I think of the Hamptons).  Narrated by Nick Carraway, he describes his summer in West Egg. He is a second cousin of Daisy, whom is married to Tom Buchanan.  That’s about as much introduction you get for the characters. Plus you get thrown a few more  just to make it ‘well-rounded’.
 Jay Gatsby, a millionaire (whom everyone has their own theory on how he came to be one) threw opulence and extravagant parties every weekend.  While there seemed to be a lack of character developments, I did feel bad for Gatsby; this ol’ sport trying to be a perfect host, showcasing his money and wealth all to try and win Daisy back. And maybe I’ve lost my romantic edge by reading all these horrible smut books, but really? You love someone for 5 years, make a freakin’ move. Don’t’ have this idealized persona that no one in their right mind can live up to. And Daisy, I’m sorry; I just don’t see her appeal.

I wish there was more back stories to the characters. I felt like I wasn’t invested in any of them and so when Myrtle got hit by the car and why Mr. Wilson went crazy and killed Gatsby, I just shrugged.  I wish they got more press time.  But no, Fitzgerald decided to devote precious space in naming all those people who attended Gatsby’s parties. WHO CARES!? It had no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the book. They didn’t thicken the plot, they were just a laundry list of names.  Really F. Scott? Really?  It also pissed me off with the double standard. I get it, it was the 20s, but Tom was having an affair too, yet when he finds out about Daisy and Gatsby shit hit the fan.  I also wish 

As for Fitzgerald, he did have some great imagery, for example “the moon soaked with wet light his tangled clothes upon the floor"
I’m not really sure what else to write. It was okay.  I give it 3 stars.

 I am excited to see the new movie though. Not for the book though, for good ol’ Leo.

No comments:

Post a Comment