Monday, March 11, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Second Glance by Jodi Picoult


Rad March:8

I know, I know, another Jodi Picoult book. I swear I only have like 5 more. That’s the problem with me when I get a whole series or author shebang, I feel like I have to read all of them back to back, instead of interspersing them.
This is up there in my favorite Picoult’s books. I think it’s because it has to do with ghosts. More specifically, the haunting of a piece of land thought to be an Indian Burial ground which is brought on because some rich people want to build some condos or shopping malls or something to that nature on it.
Ross, a ghost hunter in training is the one for the job after he realizes that his boss his a quack. He isn’t entirely sane himself, believing he cannot die as he has attempted suicide a few times.-This all after a car accident that left his love dead.  Ross, ironically being a ghost hunter had never seen a ghost before.  And I believe that he started ghost hunting probably to reconnect with his dead fiancé. Shelby is his sister, and a mother who has given up her social life in order to take care of her son, Ethan. Ethan had XP- which is being allergic to the sun more or less. That being said, he sleeps during the day, parties at night, while his mom also goes to work during the day… rock star. Shelby ends up falling for the cop, Eli who is bringing the murder case of Cecilia back to life.  This murder happened to be on this piece of land that is now haunted.  Eli also saw Shelby in his dreams prior to knowing her (oooooooooh eerie).  There are more characters as well, but I truthfully don't feel like giving them a time of day.
My favorite part is the part 2, where you see what actually happened with all of these characters and how they came to be.  You see how Ceclia/Cissy/Lia ends up dead, presumably by Grey Wolf/Jon Delacour. I liked this part of the book because the anthropologist in me singed. It was interesting to read about the beginning of eugenics (the science of genetic cleansing (for lack of better word)). As fiction as it was, you knew it happened.  The white folk went in and wanted to stop the breeding of degenerates, poor people, liars, insane etc. In this book, those happened to be the Abenaki Indians.  And they did this by going into their neighborhoods, asking questions then writing down “stupid”, “liars” When in fact the white folk were the stupid ones because they couldn’t understand the language. My favorite character was probably Grey Wolf/Jon/Someone else but I won’t say because it’s a spoiler.  And that is also why I won't go into the whole murder mystery of Cecilia. BUt I found it very intriguing, albeit at times predicatable.
They also touched on the subject of pre-screening embryo’s and if its moral or not. One of the characters was a doctor, who screened for things like Down Syndrome, or XP in order so they won’t be passed on.  It was definitely something that made me think. If I knew there was a certain disease in my family, would I go and get it checked, and if my little embryo had the disease, would I terminate or not. I don’t think there is a right or wrong in this situation.
One complaint with the first half of the book is the way it was laid out. It wasn’t separated into different characters in a succinct way. It jumped from one paragraph to the next and I felt like I had to really pay attention to keep it all straight.  Another complaint is the ending. It felt rushed, and that Jodi had to wrap it up in 20 pages or less.  
All in all I liked it, give it 4 stars for a Jodi Picoult book. It was entertaining, had a murder mystery vibe to it, as well as a moral medical question.

No comments:

Post a Comment