Monday, January 25, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham

 From the acclaimed creator, producer, and star of HBO's Girlscomes a hilarious, wise, and fiercely candid collection of personal essays that establishes Lena Dunham as one of the most original young talents writing today.

In Not that Kind of Girl, Dunham illuminates the experiences that are part of making one's way in the world: falling in love, feeling alone, being ten pounds overweight despite eating only health food, having to prove yourself in a room full of men twice your age, finding true love, and, most of all, having the guts to believe that your story is one that deserves to be told.

Exuberant, moving, and keenly observed, Not that Kind of Girl is a series of dispatches from the frontlines of the struggle that is growing up. "I'm already predicting my future shame at thinking I had anything to offer you," Dunham writes. "But if I can take what I've learned and make one menial job easier for you, or prevent you from having the kind of sex where you feel you must keep your sneakers on in case you want to run away during the act, then every misstep of mine will have been worthwhile." - goodreads


This book was my first book completed on the 2016 Reading Challenge my bff Kamiey and I are doing.  It marks off  the  ' book I've been meaning to read' category. And well it was just not that good.

I heard so many good things about this book, hence me actually going out to go buy it and I was a bit disappointed. I admit, I am not a huge Lena Dunham fan, I only made it through half of the first season of Girls (not because I didn't like it, but got side tracked and never went back to it), but with all the praise about this book and my love of reading memoirs of people I don't know - I thought this would be right up my alley.

I found that the essays didn't flow. Some were pointless and a lot seemed overly pretentious. A positive though,  you can tell that Lena does have a writing background, as her choice of words are very well thought out.  Maybe that is why I found it pretentious.  I don't know.  And she does write/say what most people are thinking. That I like. 


I really wanted to get more information on how she started Girls, and that process. It fell sort. I don't even think there was an essay on it entirely, Just snippets here and there.  

Anyways, I give it 2 stars. And a good ol' checkmark of my list.


Next up on my reading challenge is "A book recommended by my local librarian" - so basically me walking into the library after H's check up (its right next door), I went to the Top Choice shelf and grabbed this one; I'll give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson. Have NO idea what it is about.  So hopefully not another disappointment




No comments:

Post a Comment