Tuesday, March 5, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres



Seriously...I'm Kidding
 
By Ellen DeGeneres
Read: March 1, 2013
“My point is, life is about balance. The good and the bad. The highs and the lows. The pina and the colada.” 
 
I love Ellen. I don’t think she should write though. Sure, I laughed out loud a few times. But, honestly I was expecting to laugh a lot more than I did. And she writes how she talks, which exactly is how I write as well.
The book was all over the place, which fair enough, she did warn you. I didn’t feel like there was any chapters that shined brighter than the others. Except maybe the teenage post  one. I can’t believe people write like that! Hahah I am guilty of it at times too, but it takes longer to decipher half the message than to type out the full word.

“What’s not so great is that all this technology is destroying our social skills. Not only have we given up on writing letters to each other, we barely even talk to each other. People have become so accustomed to texting that they’re actually startled when the phone rings. It’s like we suddenly all have Batphones. If it rings, there must be danger.

Now we answer, “What happened? Is someone tied up in the old sawmill?”

“No, it’s Becky. I just called to say hi.”

“Well you scared me half to death. You can’t just pick up the phone and try to talk to me like that. Don’t the tips of your fingers work?”
 

I especially laughed at that page, it is so rare just to call someone. We are all aobut texting these days that its a shock and even an inconvience if someone leaves a voicemail these days!

I also did enjoy the gift giving chapter, where she mentions that parents should refrain from having kids if they are going to be born near Christmas. And being a December baby I agree, it sucks sharing your birthday with christmas!
I read a review that this book sounded more like Oprah, in the sense that Ellen talks about recycling, meditation and eating healthy. Fair enough the topics are Oprah-esque but the way Ellen delivers the message isn’t preachy, its funny and how you’d want to be told. She jokes about herself, she jabs at Portia, just overall being her.
 “Contribute to the world. Help people. Help one person. Help someone cross the street today. Help someone with directions unless you have a terrible sense of direction. Help someone who is trying to help you. Just help. Make an impact. Show someone you care. Say yes instead of no. Say something nice. Smile. Make eye contact. Hug. Kiss. Get naked.”  
Maybe I changed my mind. It was a good EASY read. I laughed, it was all over the place, just like Ellen.
(3.5 stars)

“Laugh. Laugh as much as you can. Laugh until you cry. Cry until you laugh. Keep doing it even if people are passing you on the street saying, "I can't tell if that person is laughing or crying, but either way they seem crazy, let's walk faster." Emote. It's okay. It shows you are thinking and feeling.” 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment