Monday, June 10, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
 
I was wandering around Chapters with a huge stack of books, a common sight (although I do end up putting them back- that damn responsible adult in me) and I happened to find myself in the Young Adult section. While I was browsing, the Chapters associate came up to me and started raving about Obsidian. I had never heard of it before and decided to give it a go. One thing I should have been wary about is that she said it was like Twilight but with aliens.  [On a side note: I did enjoy Twilight, yes it was shitty writing and you wanted to smack the lead character, but it did what a book is supposed to do, entertain you.]

Katy is new in town and obviously looking for things to fill her time. Then walks by hottie hot Daemon.  His twin sister Dee, befriends Katy instantly.  With Daemon giving snarky comments about ‘Katy’s kind” and being a royal asshat they eventually all start hanging out together. Because Katy is clumsy, in order to save her life in a near death experience- I believe with almost getting hit by a car (sounds familiar hey?)- Daemon has to show his true powers, of course making Katy question what the fuck he is.  When aliens interact with humans, some alien mojo (not my words) gets left onto them, essentially forming a big beacon to the alien hunters. Well in this case another alien, tribe?? Can I call it that?? Anyways this other alien tribe wants to steal all of the powers, so in order to save everyone; Katy has to stay close to Daemon which causes sparks to fly (not just the ones alien superpowers create).  Throughout the book they go back and forth from hating each other to wanting to kiss each other. There was some romance and some sexual tension, which for a YA book was pretty intnese at times; and hell it does make you more entertained reading it.

I don’t know. It was okay; but it just seemed like I did read this before . It was Twilight, just instead of vampires it was aliens.  One sparkled, one was made of light.   Both girls were stupid not to listen to the constant warnings of the amazingly gorgeous guy. Armentrout did write some good scenes, some great dialogue but some of her under handed comments was a bit too much. It was Twilight. Don’t’ make lines “well we don’t sparkle” Everyone knows it’s a dig, and I did laugh at it but still…  do like that Katy had some balls in the book. It wasn't a I must have you, or I will die type of relationship.
I can see why people love it. It’s a young adult romance story about the ordinary girl getting the hot guy. I give it 2 stars. I was expecting more based on the Chapters associate recommending it.  I am also kind of upset I put down all my other books to buy just this one.But, because I know htis is #1 in the Lux series, I will probably read the other ones. (One of my reading bad habits. I just need to know what happens and apparnelty do not value my time by reading shitty books)

No comments:

Post a Comment