Thursday, July 18, 2013

30 Day Writing Challenge- Day 3! My Favourite Series

Day 3 of my 30 Day Writing Challenge

The topic is my favourite series.  Myfirst thought was, can I write about Harry Potter again? Or The Hunger games again?

Well its my blog so I guess I can. You know how much I love HP. And there will be a ton of other posts about HP, so I am not going to this time…  

The Crank Trilogy: Crank; Glass; Fallout
A series that I love is Ellen Hopkins Crank trilogy featuring: Crank (#1), Glass (#) and Fallout (#3).  This series follow Kristina and her downfall into the monster (crystal meth/crank/glass/ice-what have you).  In the second book she tries to clean up for the sake of her son, but he force of the monster is too strong so she falls back in harder and deeper. The third book is written in 3 perspectives, 3 of the 5 of Kristina’s kids.  
You should also know I love this author. I’m not a fan of poetry usually because maybe the poet was just talking about a red wagon and not some angst childhood.  So, I’m not even sure why I picked this book up in the first place. Musta been the drugs. That’s what it’s about. Not me being on drugs at the time… Awkward.
This series is hard. Not in the effort or brain power it takes you to read it, but hard in the sense that it tugs at you emotionally. Hopkins writes in a way that you can identify with exactly what each of the characters are going through, even if you have never done drugs before. She makes you empathetic to them, as well as sympathizes with them simultaneously.  Its not for the weak hearted and a far cry from being sugar coated. The stuff she talks about is real shit that teenagers go through.
I’ve told you again and again, go pick up an Ellen Hopkins book. You won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment