Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Judge a Book By Its Cover

Running with Scissors


This cover makes me laugh. Something about having a head in the box makes me chuckle. Immature...maybe? It actually reminded me of the good ol' BSD days (For all you non University of Calgaryg goers, BSD is the last day of classes aka a good ol' drunken bash) playing Sociables with me always picking the boxhead card.

I have no idea what this book is about when I picked it up, but I instantly wanted to read it based on the cover alone.

And after looking at the synopsis on Goodreads:

The true story of a boy whose mother (a poet with delusions of Anne Sexton) gave him away to be raised by her unorthodox psychiatrist who bore a striking resemblance to Santa Claus.

So at the age of twelve, Burroughs found himself amidst Victorian squalor living with the doctor's bizarre family, and befriending a paedophile who resided in the backyard shed. The story of an outlaw childhood where rules were unheard of, and the Christmas tree stayed up all year round, where Valium was consumed like candy, and if things got dull an electroshock-therapy machine could provide entertainment. The funny, harrowing and bestselling account of an ordinary boy's survival under the most extraordinary circumstances
 
I kinda feel like I shouldn't have laughed at the cover.  And I also would have liked to see a pair of scissors in his hands. Now thats somethign, runnign with scissors while wearinga box on your head.
 
I am intrigued to read this though.

No comments:

Post a Comment