Thursday, August 22, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler



I though this book would be soooo funny. Out of all the comedian memoirs I've been reading lately (Ellen DeGeneres, Mindy Kaling) I had high hopes for Chelsea. I think she is a hilarious talk show host, I am usually nodding in agreement and thrilled that she had the balls to say some of the things we all think off. 

That is not what you get with this book. I was even drinking mojitos during the majority of my reading time! I kept expecting to laugh out loud, instead I was shaking my head.

She comes across as rude and lewd. They way she writes make her seem like a shittyfriend too. Very judgemental.  And truth be told I am also a judgemental bitch. I think thats why I like reviewing things, but really Chelsea, really? She however would be fun to play YOURS with.

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, ChelseaThe worst part, was probably the second last chapter with the midget. I would like to state that I have absolutely no problems with the vertically challenge but Chelsea's obsession with them was slightly terrifying.

I will provide a few of my almost laugh out loud moments and not just when you type LOL because you have nothing else to say and don't want to hurt the other persons feeling. (this is why it garners 2 stars)


"I rolled over and picked up Us Weekly magazine off the floor. The cover had a picture of Angelina, Brad, and their little Eskimo son, Maddox. I saw staring at the photo, wondering why this little boy looks so pissed off in every picture.

At first I thought he was just pissed about his Mohawk, but then I realized he’s probably furious. Maddox must have thought he hit the jackpot when some A-list celebrity rescued him from third-world Cambodia, only to discover that she was going to shuffle him back and for the to EVERY other third-world country in the universe. He’s probably like, “When the fuck are we gonna get to Malibu, bitch?”
 
 
“Then a homeless man with a dog approached us and put his hand out. This happens to be something that I have a real problem with: homeless people with pets who approach you for food when they have a perfectly delicious dog standing right there?” 
 
 

I did really enjoy the Prison Break chapter.
 
Based on this book, I am not sure that I will read her other books. I just don't think she can cut it as a writer. Or I would invest in the audiobook version as that may help.
 
2 stars
 
 
 27 Everyday Decisions That Twentysomethings Are Really Bad At Making

1 comment:

  1. Oooo I bet her audiobooks are funnier. I read this a while back and had a few chuckles, but didn't laugh as much as I thought I would.

    I enjoyed Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me, which is written by her friends for the most part. She's pretty crude and plays horrible pranks, but I think she actually does come off as a sweet person sometimes. Like she's kind of judgemental and mean, but it seems like she steps up and takes care of her friends when it really matters.

    ReplyDelete