Thursday, October 10, 2013

One Pot Chicken Risotto

MMMM. That is all I can say about this dish!  I love trying out new recipes and while searching through pinterest for recipes that call for chicken (we had a bunch of leftover stuff) I came across this one and am glad. And true to form I used what I had and made a dish I am certainly going to make again.

Since I didn't realize I was going to be writing a blog about this until after I took my first bite, I did not take any prepping pictures. 

the cooking process

the final process


What You Need:(what I used)
  • 2 chicken breasts, diced to 1" cubes, seasoned with salt and pepper ( I used leftover chicken cut up)
  • 1 large onion, diced ( I don't really like onions so I used a quarter of one)
  • 2 1/2 cups arborrio rice
  • 2 packages beef stock, lower sodium is best (I used chicken stock and vegetable stock (after I ran out of chicken stock)- I found it weird that a chicken recipie called for beef stock, plus I used what I had)
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • carrots
  • 1 cup water
  • Some herb provence (what is this by the way? I just found it on my spice wheel and decided hmmm why not add it)
As you see, the recipe is pretty easy to substitute, especially for veggies. The original had peas, onions, asparagus, bell peppers. All of these would be delicious, but I had none of them. I also fried up some garlc with the onions.

How I Did It:
  1. Heat a large pan over high heat.
  2. Add some olive oil.
  3. Add some garlic and some onions.  Brown them. Smell how glorious it smells.
  4. Cook chicken until browned on all sides.
    1. You obviously don't need to do this if you are using pre-cooked chicken, just throw it in!
  5. Add carrots (or whatever veggies you decided on)
  6. Add  butter and stir.
  7. Lower heat to medium-low, add rice, stir well.
  8. Let rice brown just slightly (think "toasted" for a little flavor) 
  9. Add a little bit of stock 
  10. Stir frequently until rice thickens.
  11. Add a little more stock
  12.  Stir frequently until thickened   (adding just enough stock to keep it from burning or becoming too thick).
  13. When your stock is gone, and the risotto has become thicker, taste a bit of it.
  14. If the rice is too crunchy for your taste, and you've run out of stock add a little water and proceed with the steps above. 
  15. Once the risotto is at your preferred level of crunch (make sure its not too mushy), scope it in a bowl and serve away.
  16. ENJOY and brag to your husband how great of a cook you are!
And go check out http://www.sweetcsdesigns.com for some more delicious looking meals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment