Wednesday, February 5, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Edge of Always by J.A. Redmerski

The Edge of Always (The Edge of Never, #2)




 Five months ago, Camryn and Andrew, both dealing with personal hardships, met on a Greyhound bus. They fell in love and proved that when two people are meant to be together, fate will find a way to make it happen.

Now, in the highly anticipated sequel to The Edge of Never, Camryn and Andrew are pursuing their love for music and living life to the fullest as they always swore to do. But when tragedy befalls them, their relationship is put to the ultimate test. As Camryn tries to numb her pain, Andrew makes a bold decision: To get their life back on track, they'll set out on another cross-country road trip. Together they find excitement, passion, adventure-and challenges they never could have anticipated. -
goodreads



The Edge of Always is the sequel to The Edge of Never (which I always get mixed up) - if you click on the link you can read my review of that one.

Anyways.... I only give this one 3 stars. And not because it wasn't good, or the same writing style as the first installment, but because I felt like it wasn't needed. The Edge of Never was a good book, it ended happily, no real cliffhangers or things unanswered in my humble opinion.  This book felt like it was written just for the fact that the first one did well with the reviewers.

 
My other issue that others seem to forget is that Andrew and Camryn only have known each other for 5 MONTHS!! 5 months, and they are preggo and engaged. UMMM!!!! What?!?!?! I get it, you meet your soul mate and love of your life, but slow the fuck down.

And that's what I guess this book was about. Camryn started freaking out that life with a baby meant a life of picking a place to call home and sticking put. She still wanted to travel the world and sing, basically be a normal 21 year old. 

This is my problem: she sees it that once you have a baby, your life stops, that you can't travel, that you can't do shit all. Umm... NO. I'm not preggo nor have kids, so I know my opinion in this matter isn't seen as valid, but come on. Just because you have a child does not mean you have to give up on your dreams. Of course they may come about a little differently and travelling will be a bit harder, but don't just become a back seat to your kids. That's definitely not a lesson I want to share.

Back from the rant: After one of my worst fears happen, she goes into a downward spiral. And to make her feel better, Andrew plans this road trip. Reminiscent of their greyhound bus meeting, only 5 months prior. (yup.... the time frame again). So they slow it down. They get back to the two of them in the relationship ( I realize I may have just given a spoiler...sorry), learn more things about their history and what they want the future to hold.

 I love Andrew. He is portrayed like such a  caring, supportive and decent guy. A guy you would definitely like to have for your own.  The author does a great job at developing the characters in the novel, so you feel like you have a connection with them wanting to be like 'yo man, stop punching the tree you are going to hurt your beautiful knuckles' (just me....? no?)

This book also had a lot more sex in it, so there's that plus.

So 3 stars. I do recommend this to people who have read the first of the series. Do you need to read it to feel closure? No.  Definitley not. The plot did kind of fall short and dragged on or it jumped from one day to a month to 15 years in the future.... so theres that problem of continuity. Like the author wanted to make sure everything was answered for sure this time because she was running out of ideas to ever create a third book (which I am grateful for actually). Again, I feel like this book wasn't needed at all. Still entertaining though.

“You’re the world to me,” I whisper onto
her lips. “I hope you never forget that.”
“I’ll never forget,” she whispers back.. “But if I ever do, for
whatever reason, I hope you’ll always find a way to remind me.”
...“Always.”
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment