Thursday, February 20, 2014

Ellen Page

I'm a little late to this, but I just watched Ellen Page's speech at the HRC (Human Rights Campaign) Time to Thrive Conference, where she not only gives a beautiful and eloquent speech, she also comes out:

Take the time to watch it till the end. Its a great message.






"but what I have learned is that love, the beauty of it, the joy if it, yes, even the pain of it is the most incredible gift to give and to receive as a human being. And we deserve to experience love fully, equally, without shame and without compromise."


See, a very moving speech.  Almost had to grab the tissues to wipe my eyes.

And lots of things should be taken away from it; such as loving each other, being equal,  to stop the discrimination and bullying of people who are different. Things like that. However, the main thing that will be taken away is that she is a lesbian. Everything else in her speech will most likely be ignored (which is a huge shame).

After I watched the video I asked myself, why does it even matter that someone is gay or straight? Just be. Why does it have to be made into a headline that another celebrity came out. Why the fuck should we give two shits about who another person is in love with. It doesn't bother me one ounce, and really why should it? I do think its important that celebrities, athletes, politicians, (all these people who others look up to) do come out and be truthful with themselves, in order to help those younger them than to be brave enough to come out too.  I just feel completely at a loss that people won't because the majority of society is so against something.And I mean, why would you choose a lifestyle of being ostracized and hated?

"And because… maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility.”- Ellen Page

No comments:

Post a Comment