Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Book Review: The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people's minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.

It is raining the day her life changes for ever. Attacked, drugged and kidnapped, Paige is transported to Oxford – a city kept secret for two hundred years, controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. Paige is assigned to Warden, a Rephaite with mysterious motives. He is her master. Her trainer. Her natural enemy. But if Paige wants to regain her freedom she must allow herself to be nurtured in this prison where she is meant to die.

The Bone Season introduces a compelling heroine and also introduces an extraordinary young writer, with huge ambition and a teeming imagination. Samantha Shannon has created a bold new reality in this riveting debut. - goodreads



 I was super excited to read this. It sounded very interesting. Then I started it. And about 50 pages in I was CONFUSED. And I only kept getting more and more confused. There are A LOT of characters in this book, so it was very hard to follow along and know whose who, who is important to keep track of, who I didn't have to care about. (I was usually wrong).  Then all the mystic/clairvoyance jargon comes in. 

I don't really remember how it ended, and I wrote this review a day after that. So that has to explain something.  I know a lot of people really really loved this book. I just couldn't get into the whole clairvoyant mindset, so I will not be giving the rest of the series a chance. Maybe the fantasy genre is just not for me anymore. 

That being said, props to Samantha Shannon for being imaginative and coming up with this stuff, especially for her first novel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment