Wednesday, July 3, 2013

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 1- The Best Book I Read Last Year- The Hunger Games

I read a lot of really really good books last year. Its hard to pick one.  However, I do believe this honour goes to THE HUNGER GAMES!

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)If you have been living under a rock you may not have heard of this little ditty written by Suzanne Collins. If you have been living under a mountain you may not have heard of the movie.  And you need to get a life. Go. The movie is actually a pretty good adaptation.(Pretty good, as I wish like all book to movie adaptations they would be 5 hours long and include every single event)


I remember receiving this for Christmas from my sister (2011) and was like " I have never heard of this in my life...thanks". She said all her kids in her class were talking about this new series and well, that usually sells me on something. I am a bit of a contemporary follower.  And her students were right! She must be teaching them something! (love you!)

Ok, so synopsis (according to goodreads):
 
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister’s place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender.

If she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love
 
 
First, why is this my favorite book of the year? Because what a fucked up concept it is. Put 12 kids in an arena and have them fight to the death! Who thinks of this shit?! Ms. Collins does. And thank god! What a great story.  There were more than one climatic event (as there should be...hehehe), that it was so hard to put down. You just had to keep turning the pages until you finished the book.
 
I also love Katniss and would secretly love to be her. Okay, maybe I secretly just want to be Jennifer Lawrence. Because seriously, do you see me running? With a bow? (I'm sure Garett is just laughing at the imagery now) Suzanne Collins made Katniss believable, you thought exaclty what she was thinking, in the same sarcastic tone. I loved it!  She was a survivor and totally kicked ass at it.
  
 
I started writing a rant on the whole Team Gale vs. Team Peeta debacle, and well I thought I had a strong leaning towards Gale, but then I just couldn't decide. Katniss was playing the part in The Hunger Games, she was just to stupid to see that Peeta actually wasn't. She did also entertain the idea of Gale being more than 'just friends'.  Both guys kinda got shit on by Katniss actually. Hmm... In the end I would vote for Gale, mainly because she friendzoned him, made him watch her 'act' being in love with the 'rich' guy and he still watched after her sister and mom. There's a keeper!
 
 
On that note... Yup, Hunger Games was my favourite book of last year (2012). Followed by the other two books in the series.

 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment