Monday, July 8, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Let's Pretend This Never Happened ( A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson

 This is one of the books I featured on Judge A Book by It's cover. If you remeber correctly I guess it was about some medieval superhero mouse named Romeo.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True MemoirI wasn't far off.  The mouse on the cover is actually a taxidermy of mouse named Hamlet von Schnitzel. I love all the names she gives her pets adn taxidermies- as a side note.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened is well a mostly true memoir of blogger Jenny Lawson. I would have known this if I actually read the back flap. I never head of Jenny before, but after reading the first chapted I was hooked. She has the same sort of humor as me so it made reading it easy.

This book is not for people who don't like the word vagina.  Jenny uses it in a lot of variety of contexts, so be warned.  Fuck is also used quite a bit. Not together though. So, do not read if you don't like swearing.



Her childhood stories are fantastic. Growing up in Texas with a taxidermist dad brings a lot of great happenings, such as wearing a deer sweater.  She also touches serious issues such as social anxiety disorder- but does so in a very supportive and hilarious manner.

She writes in a way that she talks- which is awesome, as that is how I like to do things around here. I love the interactions between her and her husband, and can only imagine what the rest of their conversations are like,and can only think he is a saint, or a little bit crazy too.  The letter chapter is effin' hilarious, especially because I can see myself reacting the same way.

If you need a funny and simple book. Read this. 4 stars.

Here are some quotes:

“You should just accept who you are, flaws and all, because if you try to be someone you aren't, then eventually some turkey is going to shit all over your well-crafted facade, so you might as well save yourself the effort and enjoy your zombie books.”
 
“...I just want to clarify that I don't mean 'without my vagina' like I didn't have it with me at the time. I just mean that I wasn't, you know...displaying it while I was at Starbucks. That's probably understood, but I thought I should clarify, since it's the first chapter and you don't know that much about me. So just to clarify, I always have my vagina with me. It's like my American Express card. (In that I don't leave home without it. Not that I use it to buy stuff with.)”  
 
  “If someone asked me to pick out my own vagina’s mug shot out of a lineup of vaginas, I’d be helpless. And probably concerned about what exactly my vagina had been doing that constituted a need for its own mug shot.” 

--see lots of vagina

 

No comments:

Post a Comment