Tuesday, August 27, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars
I had The Fault in Our Stars by John Green on my To-Read pile for a long long time.Seriously. And I added it without really knowing much about it other than the fact that it was supposed to be this great read and the cover features one of my favorite colors.  It's taken me a while to write a review on it, not because it wasn't good, but because I find it hard to put into words. 


The synopsis according to Goodreads:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


Hazel has cancer- thyroid cancer which has her tethered to an oxygen tank.  Augustus has cancer - osteosarcoma. They start talking. Connecting. Falling in love. They are normal teenagers defined by their diagnosis. I mean, they are as normal as they can be, they do have cancer.  They've been dealt a really shitty hand and obviously the way they deal with things are going to be a little off. Augustus and Hazel both talk with such prose that it does seem unbelievable at times. I mean, it was like watching Dawson's Creek and having to read a dictionary after. But that is what makes it so great. These teenagers have had to deal with things I can't even fathom. They know life is precious, that death is a side effect of cancer.

I enjoy that the book talked about another book throughout it, basically being a supporting character.  The book was so important to Hazel, and through Hazel it became important to Augustus. I think as book lovers this is a thing we all want. We want to share our love of the literary word to others, but at the same time we fear that they might not like it, that they might have a completely different viewpoint on the book that it wrecks it for us.  The book just happens to based on cancer. And the book just ends. Mid sentence. Hazel has spent most of her free time writing the author trying to gain some closure. I think this is a horrifyingly beautiful metaphor. Think about it. They are in the exact same position as the book they love. Their life could just end. They know the world isn't a wish granting factory so they make the most of the time together.

24 Things Single People Are Tired Of Hearing


Not exactly. I did see where people would burst out crying, and I admit I felt a few tears seep through. I'm actually surprised I didn't bawl my eyes out. Cancer is a thieving whore who should be shot. Cancer is a horrible thing and any mention of it in books, TV shows, movies...make me cry. Its a given. With The Fault in Our Stars, cancer is a main component in the telling of a love story. They wouldn't have come together if it wasn't for the bitch cancer. They wouldn't come apart if it wasn't for the bitch cancer either.

By not really knowing what this book was about I went into it with an open mind.  John Green wrote the characters so profoundly that you connected with every single one. That is why the tears started. You felt their happiness, their pain, their loss. Hazel, Augustus, Isaac. Hazel's family. They all made you feel something.  They all made you want a happier ending.

I do recommend this book to others. Go into it with an open mind. An understanding that it might tug at your emotional well being.  The subject matter sucks but its a reality that most people, unfortunately, have to deal with.

This book was 'okay'.
                                 'okay'.


4.5 stars


 
”Love is keeping the promise anyway”
 
 
”It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you”. - What a great line. My heart melted a little when Augustus said this.


No comments:

Post a Comment