Wednesday, August 7, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Escaping Reality( The Secret Life of Amy Bensen #1) by Lisa Renee Jones

Escaping Reality (The Secret Life of Amy Bensen, #1) At the young age of eighteen, tragedy and a dark secret force Lara to flee all she has known and loves to start a new life. Now years later, with a new identity as Amy, she’s finally dared to believe she is forgotten–even if she cannot forget. But just when she lets down her guard, the ghosts of her past are quick to punish her, forcing her back on the run.

On a plane, struggling to face the devastation of losing everything again and starting over, Amy meets Liam Stone, a darkly entrancing recluse billionaire, who is also a brilliant, and famous, prodigy architect. A man who knows what he wants and goes after it. And what he wants is Amy. Refusing to take “no” as an answer, he sweeps her into a passionate affair, pushing her to her erotic limits. He wants to possess her. He makes her want to be possessed. Liam demands everything from her, accepting nothing less. But what if she is too devastated by tragedy to know when he wants more than she should give? And what if there is more to Liam than meets the eyes? - goodreads synopsis.


This book surprised me. Yes, I did pick it out on Netgalley purely based on the cover art. And it was actually good guys!!! My tactics worked this time! (which is why it surprised me).

So Amy Bensen is a perpetual runaway and you only get a glimpse as to why. But basically she leaves her life whenever she receives a note saying to. I guess as a reader we dont' know her situation, but how shitty would it be to start a new life constantly.  I mean I have a hard enough times making friends in a city I've been in for 28 years I would definitely become a hermit.  Amy is resolved not to get close to anyone.

That is until she meets Hottie McHotterson. That changes everything.  She meets him on the plane to her new life. And man she is dumb. I'm sorry but you just have this inner monologue about how everyone close to you dies, that you don't trust anyone, blah, blah, blah. Then you go and cozy up to this hot stranger? Okay, I know they didn't 'wink wink nudge nudge' cozy up but still.  If you don't know who to trust, then maybe you should put your guards up a little higher. I know it would be tough to live life suspecting everyone is going to betray you and/or kill you and you are feeling a little lonely, but come on!

Amy did make me change my opinion  on her though. I liked how she just didn't give in to her loins.  Finally there is a chick that questions the hottie. I mean, hey- maybe the domineering, have to tie you up to fuck you guy just isn't worth it.  But then she does give in. I mean, isn't it normal to have a complete stranger tie you up to a door frame? ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE TRUST ISSUES!!

25 Frustrating Things About Being An Extrovert
 
*SPOILER*

Okay. Liam is an asshole. Girls are allowed to hang out with friends, even if that friend happens to be a guy. Heaven forbid I go out for a beer with a guy friend and my significant other walks in.  First off, have some trust. Secondly, grow a pair. Just because I talk to a guy doesn't mean I want to sleep with them. He goes ape-shit crazy, acting like a controlling boyfriend (which last time I checked, they just had sex once, not even at that what are we phase) who doesn't even give her the time of day to explain. THEN he makes it so she feels bad for him! Step up ladies! I would once love to have the star of the book stand up and be like 'fuck off man,  you can't control who I hang out with, what I wear, when I'm allowed to go home, if you can't deal with that, no more loving'.



 *SPOILER DONE*
The 27 Most Relatable Jessica Day Quotes
 
 

Now my other rant, why must EVERY romance story have to have a rich millionaire hot guy as the main character's love interest? I mean do middle class, trade workers not have sexual fantasies about tying chicks up? Are girls not attracted to them, lust after them? Throw all caution to the wind? Maybe middle class guys just aren't asshats with power control issues? Maybe if I ever write a novel I will write that! (don't steal my idea now!!!). On the flip side, do you notice that if the guy isn't good looking he would be considered a pervert?

Also, yes I know its a book and not real life. But I would really like to know, how these affairs intensify so fast! You just meet, have weird BDSM sex, then love each other. I mean being in lust I see. Loving the orgasm yes, loving the person yes. MAYBE they are so in love with the orgasm that that is why they freak out! Yes! Got it! Maybe that's what they are all into bondage too!
 
This book was very easy to read, but it was very easy to get into. You kept wanting to know who everyone is, whose deceiving who so it was very hard to put down. And I know it may seem like I have a lot of problems with this book, but its really just the subject matter. I mean, they do entertain my ranting needs and I always come back to them.

I will check out the rest of the Secret Life of Amy Bensen stories.  I want to know why she is in hiding, who the handler guy is, who Liam actually is (I secretly want him to be the bad guy) who Jared is (who is not a millionaire and want him to be the love interest), who all these people she meets are? So many unanswered questions!!!

4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment