Sunday, August 4, 2013

REVIEW: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league—but she wouldn't have it any other way

-from goodreads.



You guys, I just barely finished this one.


15 Pieces Of Proof That Eeyore Completely Shaped Your World Outlook

To be fair this isn't the type of book that I would normally pick up. Urban fantasy just has never been my cup of tea- mainly because I've never actually read one before. BUT, as Eeyore is wallowing about he makes a good point; it had all the supernatural powers at its hand, vampires, were-things, magic stuff like that.  I was excited, it had all the makings of a kick ass novel.  But it just did not deliver.

First off. Are people sure that this was the first book in the series? I was confused out of my mind. I felt like things weren't explained, random urgis and dhaes (yeah-exactly what the F is that?) show up, things happen and I just ya.. I was lost. You are thrown into this magic world without not really knowing anything.  I wish they had a preparation chapter or footnotes at the very least.

35 Things Every Engineer Has To Deal With In College


There was a point in the middle where I was like. AHH-HAAAA! I am beginning to understand!  Then nope. Some other weird thing happens.  I mean was this magic world hidden in the real world? Was everyone some sort of super being? I mean I kind of see that it was an exception to the world, but then why the hell does everyone know about it. The author should have spent so much more time explaining the world, giving us details of why and how. I feel I would have been much more invested in this book if I understood it.

The thing I did like was that Kate Daniels is a pretty kick ass leading lady. I mean she drinks Boones for christsakes. She's also sarcastic, says things she probably shouldn't say and doesn't take shit from anyone. That's pretty important when dealing with a lot of weird supernatural beings. I liked her.  I wanted to know more of her back story though.

It seemed like some of the very important scenes just flew by. There was no anticipation to the climax that after it happened I felt strange. Like- that was it? Really? Can I have a do over. Again, this is the author lacking on some of her descriptive skills.

I know this is part 1 of 3??? But nope, can't read the rest. I just am blown away that all the reviews on goodreads are "OMG I love this book, such an addicting series'" and it makes me seriously consider that I missed a few key chapters, or am just stupid. So, 1 stars. I just didn't see it.   Will this stray me away from trying out other urban fantasy novels-maybe, just maybe.


3Gy1axD

No comments:

Post a Comment