Saturday, August 3, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis


One Step Too Far

 
An apparently happy marriage. A beautiful son. A lovely home. So what makes Emily Coleman get up one morning and walk right out of her life to start all over again? Has she had a breakdown? Was it to escape her dysfunctional family - especially her flawed twin sister Caroline who always seemed to hate her? And what is the date that looms, threatening to force her to confront her past? No-one has ever guessed her secret. Will you?
 - synopsis from Goodreads
One Step Too Far is another netgalley read. And its a good one guys! I am so glad I was allowed to review this. Publication happened on April 15th so there is really no excuse for you.
I know by doing this comparison many people will cringe and be like 'oh no you didn't!", but I got a very Gone Girl feel while reading it.
Emily packs up and leaves her husband and Charlie. From here she turns into Cat Brown and starts up a new life, new fashion, new habits, new everything. Essentially wanting to forget everything that has happened and her life prior.  And this is why you have to keep turning the pages.  She ends up in London. One thing I was wondering though, if you so desperately wanted to start a new life, why would you do it in a city fairly close to your old town, where your twin sister used to live? Would you not at least travel a few hours or better yet, leave the country? In a sense by only moving to London - yes its a big city with lots and lots of people you can secure a bit of anonymity- it seems like in the back of Emily/Cat's head that she wanted to be found eventually. She wanted to stay close or to keep tabs on her loved ones.
From the very first chapter I was pulled in. It could be that it is set in London. And pretty much any London book I am thrilled with. I will go back! Anyways, the first chapter sets up such a great scene. Each chapter focuses on a separate character, and while this sounds confusing Seskis does it in a way that drives the story, alternating between the past and the present. It gives you a greater depth and perspective in the story as well.
It was funny, as I was reading this novel I kept being like "I hope the next chapter is about Ben" and then I scrolled the page and ta-da! Ben. I wanted so bad to hear his side of the story, how he dealt with his wife abandoning him. And I have to say however as a leading lady Emily/Cat  sucks. Who just picks up and leaves? Deal with your shit. Don't make everyone else have to clean up your mess.
Obviously there is a twist. You find out exactly why Emily decided to up and leave. And it is one that you cannot even think of. And if you did a gold star is awarded to you!
I enjoyed this book. I liked that it kept you readinf foward and answering questions as time went on. Also the title of the book makes sense at the end too!


No comments:

Post a Comment