Thursday, October 24, 2013

BOOK REVIEW Compilation

I've read a lot of books lately, and as I don't want to overload you guys with reviews I am going to do another compilation on a few books I've recieved through netgalley. Almsot done with that list!!!!!!


 

1) Intelligently Designed: How Creationists Built the Campaign against Evolution by Edward Caudill

 2 stars
 
This is about how the thought of creationist became a popular belief. Too start off, I do not believe in creationism, I am an outright evolutionist- I can't deny the facts. Anyways, this book shows that all those who support creationist- the fundamentalists mainly- have been very good at promoting it through political ways and they are very adept at using the media. They sneak into debates at just the right time with the right celebrity name.

A lot of the book was about the Scope trial, and being Canadian I had really no idea what that was. And then it brought up a lot of other trials and names. For me, this is why it only garnered 2 stars. I felt that it was just name after name, and no real succinct thought came from all the evidence. I got bored. And truthfully I skimmed about half of the book until I got to the final chapter.I also cannot get past the fact that so many people have such a wrong idea on what Darwinism actually is, and what he wrote about. (that's another rant for another day)

It isn't a book that forces you to pick a side, it is a book that shows the growth of a movement and tries to help you see why people are quick to jump on the creationist bandwagon. It shows how political and media minded the people who support this group is, and well evolutionist care about the science behind things.

I wanted to read this book because I am such an evolutionist and I wanted to see the other viewpoint. Which I think everyone should. Look at both sides of the story. But that being said, I just can't get that this movement has been so successful. Just don't get it....
 
 
The Disappearance of Lizzy Ross 2) The Disappearance of Lizzy Ross by Jessica Schein
                                                     3 stars
synopsis by goodreads: Mimi Lerner and Lizzy Ross have been best friends since high school began and now, as seniors, they've made big plans together—from a trip to the Bahamas only months away to going to college the following year and ruling it like they do high school. But when Lizzy goes MIA after a party Mimi throws at a posh Manhattan hotel, everything is suddenly up in the air and Mimi must face facts: Lizzy Ross may not be the girl she knew, and the life she thought she'd have is going in a very different direction.
 
There is now a blurb in the synopsis that this is part of a series, having known that now it makes more sense, but I wish that the author just wrote one book with two parts. I hate putting the time and effort (alright, it was a really short and easy read) to come up with a" to be continued... " ending.  It seems to be the trend that I don't really want to continue. Just write one stand alone book, not 50 million little books to make a franchise.  However, back to the book. I did actually enjoy it. It reminded me of Gossip Girl and I liked that the main character was starting to have a problem with drugs (that makes me sound like a horrible person) but thats it. She wasn't a likeable character at all, kinda being the stereotypical rich girl and all she cared about was scoring (either more coke or with her stepbrother) and not that her best friend is missing! Really? No wonder your a suspect.  But because the ending just happened with no real conclusion, just a cliffhanger... I'm not sure I am going to care enough to see what happens to Lizzy and Mimi.
 
Getting Rooted in New Zealand3) Getting Rooted in New Zealand by Jamie Baywood
                                           3 stars
Synopsis from goodreads: Craving change and lacking logic, at 26, Jamie, a cute and quirky Californian, impulsively moves to New Zealand to avoid dating after reading that the country's population has 100,000 fewer men. In her journal, she captures a hysterically honest look at herself, her past and her new wonderfully weird world filled with curious characters and slapstick situations in unbelievably bizarre jobs. It takes a zany jaunt to the end of the Earth and a serendipitous meeting with a fellow traveler before Jamie learns what it really means to get rooted.
 
The title of the book is funny to me now that I learned the slang of 'rooted'. hilarious. This book is written in a diary type style documenting Jamie's year living abroad in New Zealand, where she decided to go to get away of all the bad men in her life.  It was okay. I can't really take away anything from it though. I mean, it just seemed like a travel diary (which makes me kinda want to publish all of mine to see what happens). Yes, she did encounter a lot of funny/weird/crazy people at work that made funny/weird/crazy stories, but... I don't know, it just didn't grab me. I guess the thing that confused me was that Jamie went to New Zealand to get away from guys, yet it is quickly brought to the readers attention that she wants to go on dates, get rooted, etc. I mean, you swear off men, but still want the sex?
 
 
Innocence4) Innocence by Elise de Sallier
                     3 stars
A LONG synopsis from goodreads:
Ignorance is supposed to be bliss, but in Anneliese Barlow's experience, it leads to poor choices and unnecessarily tragic outcomes . . . and there is nothing blissful about either.
Forced to flee her father's brutal heir, Anneliese masquerades as Lisa Brown, a servant in the grand, country mansion of the Duke of Worthington. Befriended by her fellow maids, she tries—and fails—to avoid attention while awaiting the return of the duke, her father's friend. Discovering the life of gentility she had known was a virtual fairy tale, reality a dark and forbidding place, Lisa faces danger at every turn.
Captivated by the beautiful maid, Nathaniel Stanton, the Marquis of Marsden, decides the only way to protect the new girl is by offering her his protection. With her reputation ruined and all hope of returning to her previous station seemingly lost, Lisa surrenders her virtue to the man she has come to love almost beyond reason. Finding unexpected passion in Nathaniel's arms, her senses are awakened to a world of sensuality she had not known existed. A world not without grave risks.
Believing it is the only way he can keep her in his life, Nathaniel asks Lisa to be his mistress, promising her a home and a future with him . . . of sorts. Despite her misgivings about its dubious morality, she accepts the position rather than be separated from Nathaniel. But her father's heir, Lord Copeland, has not given up in his quest to have her for himself.
With her freedom, Nathaniel's position in society, and the future of countless others at stake, she must sacrifice her future happiness and find a way to disappear forever. If her identity is uncovered, Lisa's innocence won't be the only thing that's lost"
 
Well that synopsis pretty much sums up the book. It was an entertaining read, and you feel the romance between Lisa and Nathaniel. But just how innocent she was, was a little hard to believe. I mean are people really that sheltered and naive when it comes to sex that you don't even know what whore means? The historical aspect of the book was done nicely though. You understood the time frame being presented, although at times names or lords and barons just got thrown around and I was all... la-de-de-da-da-da...
 
From a Dead Sleep5) From A Dead Sleep by John Daly
                    3 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads- Few residents in the small, secluded mountain town of Winston, Colorado, have kind words to say about Sean Coleman. He's a bully, a drunk, and a crime show addicted, armchair detective with an overactive imagination. After a night of poor judgment, Sean finds himself the sole witness to the unusual suicide of a mysterious stranger. With the body whisked away in the chilling rapids of a raging river, no one believes Sean's account. Tormented over the doubts and mockery of the people of Winston, Sean embarks on a far reaching crusade that takes him across the country in search of the dead man's identity and personal vindication. At the end, he hopes to find redemption and the truth--but sometimes the truth is better left unknown. There are times when the truth invites evil. There are times when the truth can get you killed
 
It was ok. I really enjoyed the first half of the book, then all of a sudden I felt like I was reading another book. Who are these people? Why are they important? Basically I was confused and it took me a while to actually get back into the book and finish it because I wanted to see what happened to Sean.
 
Beg (Songs of Submission, #1)6) Beg( Songs of Submission #1) by CD Reiss
                                         2.5 stars
synopsis on Goodreads- My name is Monica. I’m a singer born and raised in Los Angeles.
I’ve stopped dating. When I cut a record, or win a Grammy, maybe then I’ll be with someone, but every man in my past has done everything he could to make me submit myself to him, and it’s gotten in the way of my career. I won’t do it again.
But there’s Jonathan. He owns the high-rise hotel where I work, and he is gorgeous and charming. I refuse to fall in love with him, even though when he asks me to submit to him, I want nothing more.
 
Stupid novellas. I really need to read synopsis. I hate being introduced to a character and then nothing, you have to wait 2 months to see what happens. JUST WRITE A FULL LENGTH NOVEL! I'm sure the ideas are there. Stop wasting my time. I probably won't read the rest of them, as I just don't have time to watch for all of the release dates.  That being said, the book was decent. The main character Monica was a bit of a flight bitch though. One second she was like "I don't want anything to do with men, I want to concentrate on my singing" then the next she was like "fuck me harder'. Lady. you can do both, just dont' confuse everyone. On the plus side, I love the cover art!

No comments:

Post a Comment