Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Just A Dog




Top Left: Tobi, Top Right: Luigi
Bottom Left: Sadee (RIP), Bottem Right: Frisky (RIP)
I have no idea who the actual author of this is, but I love it!
(If you do know please let me know so I can credit them!)
 
"From time to time people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, time spent, or costs involved for "Just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "Just a dog." Many hours have passed with my only company being "Just a dog," and not once have i felt slighted. Some of my saddest moments were brought about by "Just a dog." In those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "Just a dog" provided comfort and purpose to overcome the day.

If you too, think its "Just a dog," you will probably understand phrases like "Just a friend," "Just a sunrise," or "Just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and rue unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that makes me a better person. Because of "Just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly into the future.

For me and folks like me, it's not "Just a dog." It's an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday people can understand it's not "Just a dog." It's the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "Just a man or woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "Just a dog." smile, because they "Just Don't Understand."
 
A common occurence, both dogs fighting for a spot on the coveted lap. Luigi is about 100lbs too....
 
And it got me thinking about my own dogs. They are my fur babies. I get that not everyone understands this dynamic.  I've had a dog my whole life. There has never been a time when I haven't had one. They are part of the family, they are allowed to be on the couch, get snuggles on the  bed. They shouldn't be quarantined to a dog house or only allowed to be part of the family on certain occasions at certain times.  This isn't to say they shouldn't be trained. They most defintely should-but come on, you get a dog to love and by a loyal companion, not to fill a status quo.
 
Yes dogs throw up, shit on the floor, eat carpet (maybe just Tobi) and heaven forbid there is dog hair everywhere- But they are mine. I'm not going to give one up because they shit. I mean, if I had to hold in a bowel movemnt for 8 or more hours, of course I'm going to shit myself. I would never give my kid (when I have one) up if they shit on the floor. I'm sure I would want too...but still.   Kids are messy, dogs are messy and I think dogs are great pre-cursors to what we are going to be getting ourselves into.


So go hug your dog today! And don't let those "just a dog" people get you down!


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment